With any warm-up, you want to get your heart rate up and prepare your individual muscle groups for the work to come.
If you’re in need of some inspiration, the following eight-move circuit from Farren Morgan – a serving soldier and Physical Training Instructor (PTI) for the Coldstream Guards – utilises the controlled resistance of bands, to get you primed for action.
Alternatively, you could repeat the whole thing three to four times – or divide it into a series of supersets – for a muscle-building full-body workout.
1. Front Raise x 10
- Loop the band under both feet.
- Hold the other end of the band and stand tall.
- Keeping back and arms straight and shoulders pinned back, raise the band directly up until hands are shoulder height.
- Pause for one second, then return to the start.
2. Side Raise x 10
- Stand tall, with one foot on the band.
- Grip the other end of the band.
- Keeping your chest up and a bend in your elbow, raise the band out to shoulder height, then lower back to the start.
3. Bent-Over Row x 10
- Stand on one side of the band with both feet.
- Hinge at the hips and grip the band.
- Drive your elbows back to your side and pinch your shoulder blades together.
- Pause for a split-second, then straighten your arms to return to the start.
4. Overhead Squat x 10
- Take a shoulder-width grip of the band.
- Hold tight, with the band in contact with the heels of your hands.
- Throughout the exercise, your elbows should be directly under your hands.
- Press the band overhead and lock your elbows.
- Now squat down, keeping your arms directly overhead.
- Go as low as you can with perfect form, then drive back up to standing.
5. Press-Up x 10
- Start in a plank position, placing hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, with the resistance band behind your back and around your palms.
- Bend your elbows and lower your chest towards the floor.
- Pause just above the floor and press back up to the start position.
6. Squat x 10
- Loop one end of the band around the base of your foot.
- Cross your hip crease with the middle of the band.
- Loop the other end over your shoulders.
- Squat down with control, keeping core braced and shoulders retracted.
- Drive through your heels, raise and tuck your hips.
7. Triceps Kickback x 10
- Hold the band behind your back, with your heels anchoring one side of the band to the ground.
- Bring your elbows up so upper arms are parallel to the floor.
- Fully extend your arms with the other end of the band straight out behind your back and return to the start position.
8. Biceps Curl x 10
- Loop the band under your feet.
- Grip the other end of the band with hands at shoulder-width.
- Hold the band with arms extended.
- Curl the band up to chest height, squeezing your biceps at the top.
- Lower with control.
Photography: Eddie Macdonald