Craft your core with this target-all-areas circuit from online fitness coach Richard Gregson.
1a. Ab Cycle
Rest: Straight to 1b
- Lie on your back, extend your legs and hover them about an inch off the floor.
- Place your fingers on your temples.
- Bring one knee up towards your chest and twist your torso so that the opposite elbow comes over.
- Lower both your torso and leg at the same time, then repeat on the opposite side, keeping the movement continuous and smooth for all reps.
1b. Lying Scissor Kick
Rest: Straight to 1c
- Lie flat on your back with arms by your sides and your legs stretched out next to each other – keep your lower back touching the floor throughout.
- Bring one leg up towards the ceiling, then lower it with control and repeat on the other side.
- A slight bend in the raised knee is fine, as long as your abs are under tension throughout.
1c. Lying Leg Raise with Hip lift
Rest: Straight to 1d
- Lie on your back with arms by your sides and your legs stretched out next to each other
- Make sure you haven’t got an arch in your lower back, then raise both legs (slight bend in the knees is fine especially if you have tight hamstrings).
- Once your legs are fully extended at 90° to your torso, contract your abs and perform a small hip lift.
- Lower both legs with control, and just before your feet touch down raise back into the next rep.
1d. Leg Crossover
Rest: 60 secs, then back to 1a
- Lie on your back with arms by your sides.
- Move both legs horizontally in a controlled criss-cross pattern: over and under the other leg while contracting your abs.
2a. Side Mountain Climber
Rest: Straight to 2b
- Assume a press-up position.
- While keeping your core braced and your shoulders, hips and feet in a straight line throughout, bring one knee towards the elbow of the same side, then return it to the start.
- Repeat on the other side.
- Keep your back straight and hips low to the ground throughout.
2b. Reverse Crunch
Rest: Straight to 2c
- Lie down and raise your legs so that your thighs are vertical and your knees are bent at a 90° angle.
- Contract your abs to bring your knees to your chest.
- Raise your hips off the floor, then slowly lower your legs back to the start.
- Maintain tension in your abs throughout.
2c. L Crunch
Rest: 60 secs, then back to 2a
- Lying flat on the floor, bring your legs up vertically, with your knees slightly bent. Keep your lower back in contact with the floor.
- Contract your abs and begin curling your upper body, lifting your shoulder blades off the floor.
- Exhale on the upward motion. Keep your legs straight and pointed, while contracting your abs.
- With your arms pointed to your toes, squeeze your core, then lower back to the floor and repeat.
3a. Reverse Knee Tuck
Rest: Straight to 3b
- Sit down with your hands on the floor behind you, legs fully extended, and lean back.
- Bring your knees towards your chest.
- Hold for a second or two, then fully extend your legs without touching the floor.
3b. Side Crunch
Reps: 10 each side
Rest: Straight to 3c
- Lie down on the floor with knees bent at a 90° angle and your feet on the ground.
- Bring your elbow across your body, as the opposite knee moves up and towards the moving elbow.
- Slowly come back down to the floor and repeat.
3c. Side Plank Reach
Reps: 10 each side
Rest: 60 secs, then back to 3a
- Assume a side plank position.
- Keeping your abs contracted with your top arm in the air, reach underneath your body, then back to the starting position, and repeat.
Richard Gregson is an online fitness coach who works with group wellbeing and activity app Magic Mountain. download the app for free at magicmountain.app