Make use of the medicine ball gathering dust in the corner of the gym to burn fat and build explosive power.
Some bits of kit are more fun to work out with than others. While you probably don’t jump out of bed in the morning to use your foam roller, medicine balls can be much more enjoyable.
“They’re a great bit of kit because you can chuck them around,” says personal trainer Adam White (awpts.co.uk). “You can also use them for maximal efforts, such as wall throws and slams, and when you use a ball for a move such as a diamond press-up, your smaller stabilising muscles have to work extra hard to control the movement.”
How to do the workout:
- Complete 15-20 reps of each exercise.
- This is a circuit, so complete the exercises back-to-back with minimal rest.
- Rest for 60-90 secs at the end of the round.
- Complete 4-5 rounds in total.
1a. Med Ball Sledgehammer
- Start by holding the ball between your legs with your back flat.
- Explosively straighten up to raise the ball overhead.
- Reverse the movement.
1b. Med Ball Press-Up
- Place both hands on the ball in the top of a press-up position.
- Lower your chest until it’s fist-distance from the ball, keeping your elbows tucked in.
1c. Med Ball Wall Throw
- Stand in front of a wall, holding the ball in one hand.
- Explosively push forwards to throw the ball against the wall.
1d. Med Ball Passing Crunch
- Start with the ball in your hands, with your hands and feet off the floor.
- Crunch up to place the ball between your knees.
- Return to the start, then repeat the move to grab the ball back. That’s one rep.
1e. Med Ball Squat Throw
- Squat down, holding the ball to your chest.
- Explode upwards so you leave the ground and simultaneously throw the ball overhead.
- Land with soft knees, catch the ball and repeat.
Photography: Tom Miles