Stay strong and supple, and protect against injury with this mobility-focused bodyweight workout from performance coach Omar Mansour.
- Do 10 reps of each exercise.
- Complete 3 sets in total.
1a. ‘World’s Greatest Stretch’
- In a high plank position, step your right foot towards the outside of your right hand.
- Move your right elbow inside towards your right foot, then rotate and reach for the ceiling.
- Return to the start and repeat on the other side.
1b. Reverse Lunge Reach
- From standing, step back with your left foot and drop down into a lunge, while simultaneously raising your left hand above your head and reaching over as far as you can – maintaining your balance.
- Pause, then reverse the movements and repeat on the other side.
1c. Glute Bridge
- Lie face up on the floor, with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground.
- Keep your arms by your sides with your palms down.
- Raise your hips off the ground until your knees, hips and shoulders form a straight line.
- Squeeze your glutes and keep your belly button drawn in so that you don’t over-extend your back.
- Hold the bridged position, while driving your hands into the ground for a couple of seconds before easing back down.
- Do each exercise for 40 secs.
- Rest 10-20 secs between moves.
- Rest for 60 secs at the end of the round.
- Complete 4-5 rounds in total.
2a. Isometric Squat Hold
- Hold a low squat position.
- Drive your knees out, with heels pressed firmly into the ground.
- Keep your shoulders pulled back and down, while keeping your core tight.
- Create as much tension in the body as you can.
2b. Press-Up (Diamond x 5/ Wide x 5)
- Place your hands on the ground slightly in front of your shoulders and form a ‘diamond’ shape with your thumbs and index fingers.
- Lift into a press-up position: your upper body should be straight and at a 45-degree angle.
- Slowly lower your chest towards the floor, then push back up to the start position.
- Complete 5 reps, then change hands to a wider position – switching the focus away from your triceps and onto your chest – and do another 5 reps.
- Continue to alternate like this for 40 secs.
2c. Superman with Hands Behind
- Lie face down on the floor with your arms and legs extended behind you.
- In one movement, engage your glutes and lower your back to raise your arms, legs and chest off the floor.
- Hold for a count, then slowly return to the starting position.
3a. Pigeon Stretch
- Start in a low lunge with your right leg forward and bent at 90° and your left leg behind it.
- Move your right foot behind your left hand and lower down to the floor – your shin should now be parallel to the top of your mat.
- Shift your left leg back a bit for extra room. Make sure your left toes, heel, ankle, knee and hip are in the same line.
- Keep your torso up and fold forwards as far as you can.
- Hold for 20-30 secs.
- Repeat on the left side.
3b. Hip Flexor Stretch
- Begin in a kneeling position, then bring your right foot forward so that your right knee is directly above your right ankle.
- At the same time extend your left leg behind you so that your left knee is behind your left hip and the top of your foot is on ground.
- For a deeper stretch, drive your knee into the ground and raise your left arm in the air – leaning to one side as per the reverse lunge reach.
Omar Mansour is a PT, performance coach and the co-founder of Track Life Ldn, a running community catering for anyone who wants to step up their training regardless of their ability. Check out his website: omarmansour.co.uk
Photography: Eddie Macdonald