Ahead of his world title defence against Oleksandr Usyk on 25 September, Anthony Joshua has shared one of the short-and-sharp workouts he uses to maintain strength, speed and stamina.
The circuit includes a combination of core work, explosive strength and endurance that AJ has used to get fight-night ready.
All the movements can be completed at home with minimal equipment, and can be easily modified to give people of all fitness levels a champion workout.
1a. Single-Arm Farmer’s Walk
Time: 45 secs each side
- Pick up a weight suited to your strength level.
- Stand tall with the weight held by your side, keeping your core tight, glutes activated, and back straight.
- Take short steps as you walk a set distance for 45 seconds, then switch hands for a further 45 seconds.
1b. Bulgarian Split Squats
- Embrace the burn!
- Find yourself a step or bench – it needs to be just below knee height.
- Assume a forward lunge position with your torso upright, core braced and hips square to your body, with your back foot elevated on the bench.
- Lower until your front thigh is almost horizontal, keeping your knee in line with your foot.
- Drive up through your front heel back to the starting position, while always keeping your movements measured.
- To increase intensity, explode from the floor through your heel to hop off the ground (should you need to make it more challenging).
- It’s all in the wrists.
- Stand by holding a skipping rope with a firm grip with your palms facing forward.
- Step over the rope so it’s behind your feet, which should be hip-width apart.
- Position your hands slightly in front of your body at hip-level, and tuck your elbows close to your sides.
- Next, jump a few inches off the ground. When you’re in the air, rotate the rope under your feet twice with a flick of the wrist.
- The intensity of the double under will really get your heart pounding.
1d. Static Sprinting
Time: 60 secs
- Running on the spot is an effective aerobic exercise which improves muscle strength, stability, and flexibility.
- Simply sprint on the spot for 60 seconds without stopping, simultaneously lifting your knees as high as possible and contracting your abs.
Heavyweight Champion Anthony Joshua is fuelled by his own Lucozade Sport Fruit Punch flavoured sports drink, available from stockists nationwide now.