Rustle up these Squash and Black Bean Burritos from TJ Waterfall’s The Plant-Based Power Plan.
“Burritos are easy and incredibly versatile,” says Waterfall. “This version includes an amazing squash and black bean filling, which makes enough to fill eight burritos. You can either freeze any leftover filling, or keep it in the fridge and enjoy in a jacket potato or simply with some warm bread.”
Ingredients for the filling (serves 8):
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp chipotle paste
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and cut into small cubes
- 1 tin black beans
To serve (per person):
- 1 tortilla wrap
- Handful fresh spinach leaves
- ½ a small avocado, mashed with fork
- ½ cup cooked rice
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp plain soy yogurt
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion gently for about 10 minutes until soft and translucent. Then add the garlic and chipotle paste and continue to stir for a further 2 minutes.
- Now add the tinned tomatoes and butternut squash, mixing everything and bringing to a simmer. Put a lid on the pan and allow to slowly cook for around 40 minutes, until the squash has become tender. During this time, stir everything every 10 minutes or so to make sure it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Once ready, heat your tortilla wrap as per the instructions on the packet. Lay the fresh spinach leaves on the tortilla and spoon the squash and black bean mixture along the middle. Then add the cooked rice, avocado, coriander, yoghurt and hot sauce. Be careful not to over-fill your burrito or it can be difficult to wrap up.
- Fold the bottom of your wrap up over the filling. Then tuck in the sides, before folding down the top edge to help keep the filling from falling out.
Kcals: 602, Protein: 17.1g, Carbs: 93.3g, Fat: 18.5g