Few things are more pleasing than eating a burger at your desk while your colleagues nibble on sandwiches – but most are far from healthy.
Solution? Make your own.
Because while a lot of store-bought burgers have flour or breadcrumbs added to thicken the mix, rustle them up at home and they’re low fat and gluten-free.
STICKY CHICKEN BURGERS
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Makes three burgers
- 2 chicken breast fillets (260g)
- 1 small onion
- ½ red pepper
- ½ green pepper
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 30g clear honey
- 2tsp cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Finely chop the onion, add it to a frying pan with half the oil and soften for five minutes over a medium heat.
- Chop the peppers and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the chicken breasts into chunks, then add to a food processor and blend to a paste. Transfer the paste to the bowl with the peppers, add 1tsp cinnamon and half the honey and mix it all together.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the rest of the honey and 1tsp cinnamon to the onions and mix together. Let this cook for 15 minutes, resisting the temptation to stir too often.
- Remove the onions from the heat and stir them into the burger mixture. Use your hands to form three burgers.
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan and turn the heat up to medium. Cook your burgers for a minute on each side to seal them, then reduce the heat to low and cook for ten minutes or so, flipping occasionally.
- Eat one immediately, and save the others for lunch.
- Serve with the veg of your choice.
Kcals: 211, Protein: 26.3g, Fat: 7.9g, Carbs: 10.5g